Section A, B, C & D Accident Benefits

Motor vehicle insurance policies generally have 4 categories that apply to different types of accidents – Section A, Section B, Section C and Section D. Every accident falls into one of these categories; they are simply a way to categorize the type of benefits you will be receiving.

Section A

A Section A claim is one that you make against another person’s insurance, when the other person was the cause of your accident (at fault). Section A claims are complicated and may involve going to court to determine the benefits you will receive. These benefits can cover things like lost wages, pain and suffering and cost of future medical care.

Section B

A Section B claim is made to your own insurance company, immediately after the accident. It can cover things like medical expenses and a portion of lost wages after you are injured in an accident.

Section C

A Section C claim is one where you suffered no injuries, but your vehicle was damaged. If, for example, you hit a deer and your car was damaged but you weren’t hurt, you would make a claim to your own insurance company to repair or replace your vehicle (since the deer doesn’t have insurance!). If you were injured in the accident, then it becomes a Section B claim.

Section D

Section D claims are made to your own insurer if you are hurt by someone else but that person is unknown or uninsured. A hit-and-run is a good example – you were injured by someone else and the accident is not your fault, but you cannot make a claim against that person without knowing who he or she is. Section D claims are essentially treated like a Section A claim, but are made to your own insurer rather than the other person’s.

Similar Posts