Receiving Income After an Insurance Claim

Some people can return to work after being injured in an accident, but others will be unable to work for the rest of their life. These people may still have sources of revenue even if they do not have a job, and for insurance purposes that money is considered differently than a salary or hourly wage.

Passive income after an injury

For example, if a person is permanently unable to work but has investments in stocks, bonds, mutual funds or other placements, that revenue is not considered “income” like it is for income taxes. Money you receive from investments will not affect the amount you receive in a Section B insurance claim.

This rule applies to several other sources of revenue as well; for example if you are renting out a basement apartment in your house, that money is not considered income either.

A general rule of thumb is that if the money is not from other benefits (EI, benefits from a different insurance plan) or something that actively requires your participation (like a job), it won’t affect your insurance benefits. However, this may not always be the case – it’s best to contact a lawyer if you think you will be facing these issues.

Similar Posts