iStock 000060088616 Small

What to do if I suffer from injuries following a car accident?


Car accidents can result in many different types of injuries. From minor to severe, the nature and extent of injuries depend on a many factors, such as the speed of the vehicles, the force of the collision and how seatbelts and airbags worked during the accident.

Car accidents are a leading cause of injuries. In 2013, there have been 120,660 reported personal injuries following a car collision in Canada (Source: Transport Canada).

What should I do if I suffer from injuries following a motor vehicle accident?

The steps you take following a car accident are important. Here is a to-do list to help you. To learn more, you can download our eBook.

  1. Inform your family doctor of your injuries.
  2. Report the accident to your insurance company and ask them to send you the accident benefits forms.
  3. Fill out and send all accident benefits forms to your insurance company. Keep copies for your own records.
  4. Contact a lawyer to better understand your rights, obligations and options.
  5. Do not speak to or meet with insurance adjustors or claims investigators until you have spoken to a lawyer.
  6. If you are placed off work, notify your employer or school.
  7. If you are off work for more than two weeks, contact employment insurance to make a claim for EI sick benefits.
  8. Take pictures of your injuries.
  9. Take pictures of any damage done to your vehicle in the accident, as well as pictures of the other persons’ vehicles if applicable.
  10. 10. Record the names and contact information of your health care professionals.
  11. 11. Keep track of your expenses and make copies of all receipts.
  12. Family members should record dates and times spent caring for the injured person.
  13. Check for other insurance coverage (through your work, school or private plans).
  14. Follow the recommendations of your doctors and try to get into rehabilitation as soon as possible.

CLG Injury Law has been helping clients who have suffered injuries from car accidents for over 28 years. If you or a loved one has been injured following a motor vehicle accident, consider speaking with an attorney. Contact us today for your free consultation at 1-800-606-2529.

Similar Posts