iStock 000032778376 Small

Section B – Loss of income payments


If you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, then you have the right to get insurance benefits from your own car insurance company, or the insurance company of the other driver, no matter who is at fault for the accident. These benefits are called Accident Benefits (Section B) and include payments, such as weekly loss of income. Accident benefits are meant to immediately help you, while your injury claim is ongoing.

If your injuries keep you from working, then you may qualify for weekly loss of income payments. The payments are 80% of your weekly income, up to a maximum of $250 for NB, NS and PEI, depending on your specific insurance policy.

In order to qualify for weekly loss of income payments, you must meet the following criteria:

1. You were employed at the time of the accident or had arranged to start a new job soon, or were employed for 6 of the 12 months before the accident.

2. Your injuries kept you from working for 7 days out of the 30 days following the accident.

3. You have returned to work, but are earning less money because of your injuries.

If your injuries did not keep you from working for 7 out of the first 30 days following the accident, you are not entitled to benefits, even if you later become disabled.

No payments will be made for any period in excess of 104 weeks except that if, at the end of the 104 week period, it has been established that the injuries continuously prevents the person from engaging in any occupation or employment reasonably suited for them, based on education, training and experience.

To learn more about Section B Benefits in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island, Contact Us at 1-800-606-2529. Cantini Law|Droit has been helping clients who have suffered injuries from car accidents for over 28 years. We have offices in Moncton, Saint John, Halifax and Charlottetown.

Similar Posts