Insurance Sections: PLPD vs Comprehensive

Every car insurance policy in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI provides a minimum amount of coverage and benefits that are defined by law. If you have motor vehicle insurance, you are guaranteed to have at least that minimum amount of coverage. These benefits apply to all motor vehicles, including cars, trucks and motorcycles as well as snowmobiles and ATVs.

Insurance policies are divided into 4 “sections” depending on the type of claim:

  1. Section “A” covers damage to other people and is called “PLPD“, which stands for Public Liability and Property Damage. It covers damage you caused to other people if you were at fault in an accident.
  2. Section “B” is your own accident benefits, which cover things like medical treatment or lost wages.
  3. Section “C” is the only optional part of a car insurance policy, also called “comprehensive” coverage. It covers damage to your own car if it’s damaged, or pays for a replacement vehicle if the car is written off.
  4. Section “D” is a bit like section A, except it protects you if you are injured by an unknown driver (in a hit-and-run, for example), or an uninsured driver.

PLPD coverage and accident benefits are legally required to ensure that anybody who is injured by somebody else in an accident can receive fair compensation for his or her injuries. PLPD compensation is given as part of a settlement with the other driver’s insurance company, and you get Section B by applying for it to your own company.

If the accident you were involved in was caused by someone else, you may receive a call soon after the accident from that driver’s insurance company. The person will be a Section A adjuster who will make you an offer to settle your insurance claim. If you accept their offer you can’t go back and get more money if you need it, so we strongly recommend getting a free consultation to make sure you are receiving full compensation.

Similar Posts