Although it can take months for accident injuries to become fully apparent, each province has a deadline for submitting an insurance claim or filing a lawsuit. There may be several different deadlines that apply to your case, but here are the three most common ones:
- Application for accident benefits – 1 month from date of accident
- Begin lawsuit against accident benefit insurer – 12 months from denial of benefits
- Start lawsuit against at-fault driver –
- New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island: 24 months from date of accident
- Nova Scotia: 36 months from date of accident
These are only a few of the time limits you may need to know, so it’s a good idea to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible to ensure you are able to make a claim if you need to. Sometimes it’s possible to get around a missed deadline, but only if you act quickly.